Wednesday 1 August 2007

Hearty Winter Soup


It's been a pretty rough winter here in Adelaide this year. I hate the cold..HATE HATE HATE it! When i first came to Australia, people kept telling me that i'll get used to the cold..but guess what?? It's been nearly 5 years and i still dread it. But like the famous quote goes, if u can't beat them, join them!

It's the middle of winter and to tell u the truth I'm finding it almost impossible to remember how it feels like to just sit and enjoy a nice novel in the cool embrace of a shaded tree sheltering me from the sun's heat.

I scurried home from the hospital yesterday in the dreadful rain and all i wanted was a nice bowl of soup. I had lots of potatoes left in my fridge and purchased a stalk of leek from the market on the weekend and decided to make a nice bowl of potato and leek soup. I'm new to making soups. Coming from a tropical country where all you do most of the time is to indulge your self in something icy cold, having something hot to keep you warm never crosses your mind even a tiny little bit!

It's really easy and very satisfying i must say. I kinda just made the recipe up and didn't quite follow a specific recipe.

Ingredients
serves 1

3 potatoes cut into cubes
1 stalk of leek
1 small onion
250ml chicken stock
pinch of crushed pepper
salt to taste
1/4 cup milk/cream
2 tablespoons of butter





1. Chop the leek length wise to get rid of the grit. Wash it properly.
2. Add the butter and saute your onions and leek for about 5 mins/ till onions turn brown.
3. Add in your chicken stock and potato. I cooked my potato in the microwave for about 5 mins to speed things up.
4. Leave to boil for about 15 mins, once potato is soft, add pepper, salt and milk
5. Lastly, if you want your potatoes to be mashed up, blend your soup in the blender.

Bon Appetit!!

No comments: