Hiee everyone!! If u're wondering if i'm still alive, the answer is yes :) The reason for my absence is that my barrier exams are in 6 weeks time and i just don't have the time to cook much and let alone blog. I've been baking off and on but when it comes to meals, everything i eat doesn't take more than 20 minutes to prepare. I'm thankful that my sister cooks most of the time for me so i don't have to live off toast and noodles.
My parents are coming to Adelaide soon to kinda babysit me..aren't i lucky ;). To all my Malay friends out there, Selamat Hari Raya. A few classmates of mine invited a whole bunch of us over for Raya. It was lots of fun. We cooked practically the whole night the day before and they had people coming and going from morning till night. Just like how they celebrate back home.
I'll end this post with the recipe for Seri muka. I've made this many times in the past few weeks. Its just absolutely delicious. The recipe is from lily's
300g glutinous rice, wash and soak in water for 4 hours, drain
180ml coconut milk
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
Egg Custard Layer
3 large eggs
4 tbsp flour
4 tbsp rice flour
350ml coconut milk
150g castor sugar
1 tbsp pandan paste
1/4 tsp salt
1. Drain rice and steam on 22cm tray for 20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, fluff up the rice and pour in the coconut milk, sugar and salt. Mix well. Steam for another 20-25 minutes or till cooked.
3. Using a spoon or spatula,press cooked glutinous rice firmly and use another tray to level pressed rice.
4. Sieve the 2 flours mixture and add them to lightly beaten eggs. Strain mixture. Add coconut milk, pandan paste, green color,salt and sugar.
5 . Cook on high in the microwave, 1 min at a time until mixture is slightly thicken.
6. Pour 1/2 of this egg custard over the steamed glutinous rice and steam for 10 - 15 minutes until cooked. Use a fork and scatch surface, then pour in the balance of the custard, steam further another 10 - 15 minutes until cooked. (steaming time varies depending on the heat of steamer)
7. Cut kueh into serving slices when cooled.
Expect my triumphant return in december once all this fuss about exams is over. Till then, au revoir and bon appetit.
Ps-too all the students who read my blog and are going to sit for exams.. GOOD LUCK!!!!!