Friday 8 February 2008

Gong Xi Fa Cai



Ever since I can remember, most of my friends have been Chinese. This is one of the many benefits of living in a country with many cultures. Malaysia has become a pluralist culture. But somehow, I still get stares from people sporadically when I walk with my Chinese or Malay friends on the streets. The good news is, I have been immunized and have cultivated the antibodies for the stares :D

Since Malaysia is a cultural mosaic, we get to join in the fun and celebrate each other’s festivals. Chinese New year is one of my favorite. I love watching energetic lion dancers in malls, admiring the beautifully decorated streets with Chinese lanterns and most of all, eating mandarin oranges and snacking on love letters and cookies!

cookie face

Since it was CNY, I had two guest bakers to join in the fun of making cookies in my kitchen. My friends and I decided to bake a batch of cookies. After going through what felt like gazillion recipes, we decided to make cornflake cookies. I must say, I was very impressed with the recipe I found from cyberkuali!

Here's the recipe

Ingredients

110g butter
110g castor sugar
1/2 tsp grated rind of lemon or orange
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
100g cornflakes, crushed lightly
125 g self raising flour
1 tbsp corn flour


Method

1.Cream butter, sugar and essence until the mixture turns light and fluffy.
2. Beat in egg yolk and lemon rind. Fold in sifted flour and mix. Put mixture into the refrigerator to chill for half an hour until it turns slightly firm.
3. Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture onto the crushed cornflakes.
4.Shape into balls and place on lightly-greased baking trays and bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 20—25 minutes or until lightly golden in colour.
5. Cool on wire racks before storing in airtight containers.

The only things that i did differently were, I only used 70g of sugar and I added 1 tbsp of milk powder to give it a milky taste.

If u want a different version of cornflake cookies, check out Daphne’s blog! She made dark chocolate cornflake cookies.

Before I end this post, I’d like to wish all my Chinese friends out there a very Happy and prosperous Chinese New Year! Go the year of the RAT!

8 comments:

Amrita said...

hey dear

thanks for all the wonderful comments and encouragement you've been showering me with. I really appreciate it! Hugs! XOXO

daphne said...

hi babe! I love baking with friends too! =)

love to try that recipe some time-might be more authentic than me =)

oh oh! chendol- I bought it in an oriental store-fridge section..they were place near the tofu. Hopefully u will be able to find it. I think the oriental store that I frequent in Perth import it themselves (with their name and everything..) so I'm hoping you will find one in Adel. =)

culinaryprincess said...

amrita- you're most welcome darling.Everyone has there ups and downs.

daphne- will go and check out the asian stores when i get back.For now i'll just enjoy the real cendol :D

Cynthia said...

This is a great way to spend time with friends!

Dhivya said...

wonderful idea..thanks for sharing

Nirmala said...

Cooking with friends is the best, I think! Looks like you had a lot of fun. Keep up the cooking.

Suzer said...

Happy New Year! The cookies look great. Although we do have a Chinese New Year celebration back in Chicago, I get the impression it is much more celebrated 'down here'. Auckland is having a big lantern festival (although I can't quite figure out why it is 2 weeks after the actual day) and my husband tells me it's a big enough event back in Adelaide too?

Anonymous said...

Amazing, but I never cooked with friends! Looks like fun...