Tuesday 18 September 2007

Spicy Tomato Chutney



After my little test on Friday, i just felt so drained and tired even though it wasn't a big exam. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of washing up and cleaning the kitchen. All i wanted was a quiet lazy weekend when i could just sleep in!

Speaking of sleeping in... I had gone out for a few drinks on Friday with my friends, as well as watching Hairspray too which i thought was AWESOME :) and just wanted to sleep in on Saturday. However, a few friends disturbed my peaceful slumber with a wake up call early Saturday morning and said they wanted to come over for breakfast. It was a good day to celebrate as it was our Lord Ganesha's (God of Wisdom and Prosperity) birthday and i thought why not?!

I guess a normal person would have gotten really pissed off but i was happy they did call and turned up at the door after giving me a 10 minute warning. I ended up making a traditional Indian breakfast of Tosai(Indian pancake) and uppuma (a savory semolina dish) with tomato chutney. I have to admit the Tosai and uppama was made using instant packet stuff. Its not that i don't know how to make the real dishes, its just that i wasn't expecting anyone to appear at my door for breakfast ;)

As for the tomato chutney the recipe is at follows;

Spicy Tomato Chutney

Ingredients

2 tbs oil
1 tsp mustard seeds(optional)
1 large onions,finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic minced
3cm (1 1/4 in) ginger, minced
600g (3 cups) ripe tomatoes, blanched
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt


Method

1. Heat oil in heavy bottomed pan and saute the onion, garlic and ginger and mustard seeds until aromatic.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and simmer over low heat until thick, about 20 minutes

Serves 6-8

Note-It's really easy to make and goes really well with tosai!

3 comments:

Dharm said...

Wow! You make Thosai and Uppuma??!!! Fantastic princess! I still depend on my mom-in-law for the thosai, chapati and the rest...! Maybe one day la, I might try it.....

culinaryprincess said...

Dharm- LOL! Its very easy once u get the hang of it!U can eat it anytime in Malaysia and its sooo cheap there so u don't have to make it at home.Tosai's here are around 10-15 AUD for 1.

Cynthia said...

Hi there! thanks for stopping by my blog and helping me to discover yours. Your pictures are amazing - the detail, lighting and colour.

You have to share that pickle recipe for the eggplant. :)

Do come back and visit when you have the time.