Here's the recipes of the nibbles i made for my cocktail party. I was unable to put it up earlier as i didn't have my lovely cook book with me in Broken Hill. Most of the recipes are adapted from the Australian Women's Weekly "New Finger Food" cookbook. I reckon its a good investment for finger food lovers!
Mutton kheema -1/2 kg
Red onion or scallot-s-1/4cup(finely chopped)
Ginger garlic paste-1tbsp
Tomato paste -1tsp
Salt to taste
1.In a mixing bowl, mix kheema, onion, ginger garlic paste, tomato paste, garam masala, chili powder, ground pepper, ground cumin, fennel, turmeric powder, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and 1/4 of bread crumbs.
Tandoori chicken on cucumber
2 tbs thick yogurt
2 tbs tandoori paste
200g chicken breast tenderloins
3(450g) Lebanese cucumbers
Whole coriander leaves
¼ cup(70g) thick yogurt
1 tsp shredded fresh mint leaves
1 tsp shredded fresh coriander leaves
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp lime juice
2.Cook the chicken on a hot grill plate or frying pan until cooked through. Cool slightly
3.Slice the cucumbers into1.5cm rounds, about 8 rounds per cucumber. Using a tsp, scoop a small amount of the seeds from the centre of the rounds, without scooping all the way through.
4.For the mint yogurt, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
5.Slice the chicken thinly and place a rounded tsp on each piece of cucumber; top with the mint yogurt and the whole coriander leaves.
Note- Not suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. This makes 24 bite- size morsels. Chicken and yogurt can be prepared several hours ahead. Assemble close to serving.
Bacon and cheese baby potato bites
1 bacon rasher (70g)
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
2 tablespoons finely grated cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
1.Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until just tender;drain.Cool.
2. Preheat oven to moderately hot.
3.Cut shallow slice from top of each potato; using a melon-baller, scoop out about two-thirds of the flesh of each potato. Reserve flesh.
4.Cook bacon in small heated frying pan until crisp;drain on absorbent paper, chop finely.
5.Mash reserved potato flesh in small bowl with butter, mustard, cheese and sour cream; stir in half of the bacon and half of the chives. Divide filling among hollowed-out potatoes; sprinkle with remaining bacon. Place potatoes on oiled oven tray. Bake , uncovered, in moderately hot oven about 15 minutes or until heated through.
Sprinkle potato bites with remaining chives after baking.
2tbs sun- dried tomato pesto
2 cloves crushed garlic
1. Combine the myonnaise with you sun-dried tomato pesto and 2 cloves of crushed garlic
2. Cut the baguette into slices and toast them.
3. Spread your paste onto toasted baguette slices.
4. Top each with 1 prawn and 1 fresh basil leaf.
Note- I didn't toast the baguette as it acquired too much work but it still tasted good.
1 cup( 150g) plain flour
1 cup (150g) cornflour
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 1/2 cups (375ml) water
1 cup (100g) packaged breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Chilli pesto dipping sauce
1/3 cup (90g) sun-dried tomato pesto
2/3 cup(160ml) sweet chilli sauce
1. Whisk flour, cornflour,egg and the water in medium bowl until smooth; place breadcrumbs in small bowl
2. Cut cheese into 1 cm-wide fingers.
3. Dip cheese sticks, one at the time, in batter, then in breadcrumbs to coat. Dip cheese sticks, one at a time, back in batter, then in breadcrumbs to double coat.
4. Heat oil in large saucepan; deep-fry cheese sticks, in batches, until golden brown, drain on absorbent paper.
5. Serve hot with chilli pesto dipping sauce
Chilli pesto dipping sauce
Combine pesto and sauce in small bowl.
Note- Do ahead. Mozzarella can be cut into sticks and sauce made a day ahead. Cover separetely; refrigerate until required.
1/4 cup( 60g) sour cream
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
1 tbs finely chopped red onion
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs drained capers, chopped finely
100g smoked salmon slices, chopped coarsely
16 small fresh dill springs
1 packet of mini toast
1. Combine sour cream, dill, onion, rind, pepper and capers in small bowl,
2. Divide sour cream mixture and salmon among the mini toast, top with dill.
3. Serve at room temperature.
Mars Bar slice
Recipe by Monica Hong
4 Mars bars
1 tsp margarine
1 tbs honey
4 cups rice bubbles
200g good quality cooking chocolate
1 .Melt margarine, honey, mars bar in microwave 1 ½ mins
2. Stir occasionally, add to rice bubbles. Refrigerate while melting cooking chocolate.
3. Melt chocolate and pour on top rice bubbles.
4. Refrigerate for ½ hour. Remove and slice it up (the longer you keep it the harder it will be to slice it up and the top will crack) and continue to refrigerate.I seriously should get back to my books! *sigh* Good luck in making the nibbles!